Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring 2008


The Straights of Mannington, WV circa 1940s


My family has been going through a difficult time lately, so I thought I would begin a blog to share with my other family members some of the thoughts I have about this family and some of the older photos I run across. I hope this is fun for everyone, to share and see these posts.

We have just placed Mom in a long term care facility. She suffered a major stroke on February 14, 2008. The stroke has left Mom with severe disabilities, including the loss of use of her left arm. Probably more important, is the partial loss of the ability to swallow. From what I've learned, it takes 17 muscles to accomplish a swallow-- something we take for granted -- but Mom will have difficulty with even that simple feat now. She can no longer walk, or even stand. Born in 1922, Mom was 85 on her last birthday.
As we struggle to find the right way to care for Mom, I'll try to help us remember things we've all been too busy to remember lately. We've had such a hard time, I think we've forgotten how much fun we had for so many years. We've lost Dad, but we do still have Mom, even if her life is pretty messed up (and ours by extension.) She is one of the strongest women I know, as has always inspired all of us. I've heard that the loss of our parents (grandparents too) makes us acknowledge our own mortality. Perhaps that is a good thing. I think I'll try to think of is as a good thing anyway. A life examined? Perhaps nothing quite so grand. Just some imperfect reflections is probably all I can manage.
But, it has been much fun over the years, and yes...that is a Bonnie Bells' cake she has......

No comments: