
We were thinking the other day about how much fun our cars have been over the years. We've always had eyes for nice automobiles, even if our pocketbook didn't match our admiration.
I remember Dad taking me to the parking lot of the Armory and leaving me in his Dodge truck (which had a clutch) while he walked around and sat on the nearby knoll. I didn't learn how to use the clutch until a year later, when Ed showed me on his 71 Camaro.
I did drive the 1967 Chrysler New Yorker, something like this one.

I think Patsy got to learn to drive on the 1962 (or was it a '63?) Chrysler 300, in Red with black leather seats!
4 comments:
I learned to drive in a Plymouth MiniVan (I don't remember what year it was, but I do remember it had fake woodgrain panels - YUCK), and got to parallel park it during my driver's test -that's why I've never had a problem with parallel parking! The driving instructor either Mom or Grandpa hired drove a K Car, Mister Alkire, he was the wrestling coach at WI. I don't remember why they had to hire that guy... I thought I was a fine driver, but I guess I made Mom and Grandpa nervous.
My Dad took me out to the Armory in the 1985 Honda Accord and taught me how to drive a standard. Keith says I drive just like my Dad. :)
I, too, learned on that MiniVan. However, my stick-shift experience included a tin can of a blue Mitsubishi and a SNOWY, curvy hillside road somewhere in Jarvisville, I think... Needless to say, I still can't drive a standard. (I did, however, learn the art of putting lights on the Christmas Tree from Dad!)
Get ready to be jealous. I learned to drive in a then-28-year-old BMW 1600. It was a four speed manual that was sitting in my dad's garage from when he bought the house. For six months we worked on that car, patching holes, repainting it, the whole nine yards. Six months of work for a car than ran a grand total of about nine months before it died. It was, however, nine months of adventure, especially if you consider driving a car that wouldn't go up fourth street with more than one person in it "adventure".
Ed was the coolest one...he drove the old farm trucks when he was younger, some from his Dad in his 1957 Chevrolet pick-up truck, but mostly learned to drive from Rosie, in her beautiful Red and White 1957 Chevy. Yes, it was a standard on the column.
Our first date was in Rosie's black VW doodlebug...I loved that car. That was the first time I was ever in a "foreign" car...LOL
John Edward was in the back seat and we went to Grandma Gallo's before we went to the Victory high school basketball game. I thought Ed liked me so much he wanted to introduce me to his Grandma, but now I know they really wanted to score a fifth of Jack Daniels from Grandma's well stocked bar.
Anyway, the VW bug was awesome!
Post a Comment