Ed remembers the red El Camino, he always liked that one, had a big engine I guess. Seems like 350 something or other....?
I think its fun to remember the long gone TV shows. I do not remember falling down the stairs at Handley, but I've alway had trouble walking down stairs and hiking down steep trails....sometimes on the trails I freeze momentarily and have to psych myself out to go farther. I could hike up things (like Nevada Falls, where the trail is large rocks in a stair like position for many miles) but coming down Nevada Falls was a slow process. Even now, I have to stop and take a deep breath before I being climbing down a normal staircase.
I don't remember Girl Scouts! What I remember is Mom being the 4-H leader and having 4-H meetings. (Something I also did when we lived at Maple Lake, I was a leader for a few years prior to our move to California.) I can vividly remember preparing for the 4-H demonstrations I gave.
How to Pack a Lunch with a Punch
- I demonstrated how to properly wrap a sandwich (in wax paper)
How to Iron a Man's shirt-
- I set up the ironing board and demonstrated the proper technique -- collar first, then yoke, plackets, sleeves, then body of shirt......
Remember going to Mannington Feed Store and buying the feed sacks? Found some with 4-H emblems...made blouses out of them....
Fun stuff!!
3 comments:
OK gentle readers. I didn't get the math gene or the sewing gene either. When Mom tried to help me with the 7th grade home ec project SHE made the dress first out of white fabric (she cut out the pattern, fitted it to me, sewed up the dress and tried it on me, set in the sleeves [they extended to the elbo and had a ruffle aroun each at the bend], dress had a waistline, a belt - hand made, of course, and a zipper - set in, of course]I used the multi green and white fabric as I remember to make the exactly same dress... can you spell ugly? Well I wore it to school for the examination by my teacher... we may find it here somewhere.. I know the fabric when I see it. (Or did I make the white one and she made the green one....)
I can hem a tea towel... some of my work is still here -linen lasts forever.
Four H memories are numerous, but mostly as a member of Sun Valley's group at Mrs. Toothman's house. [Her group was so much different from Brenda's group when my kids were in 4-H.- a story for another time...] Mrs. Toothman raised 3 daughters as 4-H'ers and they were poised and mannerly, good at what they did and friendly. (as I remember) Mom and Dad helped us with projects: mine were always chosen from things tha did not have to do with cooking or baking, sewing or such. I chose photography, landscaping and the like.
Mom made Halloween costumes for my girls by sewing: big witch's hat and cape to match, black and white striped prisoner uniforms with hat and ball n chain from Hallmark store. When I tried to help Tracy make a costume for her gifted class we cut off the sleeve of a shirt (because it already had a button on the cuff for a belt) and made a skirt for Barbie. I solve problems, but I don't sew.
Glad to see you have some skills I can utilize once you move into your trailer. You can do my laundry & sew my towels!
What do you even use a tea towel for?
Ah... fond memories. It's funny to think how different 4-H is in WV vs. OH... Here everyone has an animal. For real.. a chicken or goat or full size cow! John actually bought a lamb last year from one of his client's kids (glad he's out of THAT business). We tried to give it back to the kid. SHe was like, "Uh, what? I don't want it. You're supposed to eat it!" Uh... ok... It's STILL in the freezer.
I much prefer my 4-H projects: Small Pets (my fish), Photography, and some other less farmy ones.
Post a Comment